Monday, May 3, 2010

Oven French Toast Sticks


This is a great breakfast (or breakfast-for-dinner) recipe that I got from my friend Sheia. I love that the batter calls for orange juice. It adds a great flavor to the french toast sticks. These taste great dipped in buttermilk syrup (see recipe below).

Oven French Toast Sticks

8 pieces Texas Toast
1/4 cup melted margarine (I use butter)
4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 cup orange juice (drinking strength)

Using pizza cutter, cut each slice of bread into thirds to make "sticks." In a bowl, mix butter, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and orange juice. Dip bread sticks into mix. Place on greased cookie sheet. Pour any remaining dip over French toast. Bake 25 minutes at 350. Turn sticks once half way through baking time. I like to broil the stick for a couple of minutes after baking to make them a little crispy around the edges.

Nauvoo Syrup / Buttermilk Syrup

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cube margarine (I use butter) :)
1 tsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together (except vanilla) in a LARGE saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. (Syrup will rise quite a bit so don't make the mistake I made the first time I made this and use too small of a pan.) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment