Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Red Wine Vinaigrette



I want to start making my own salad dressings so I'm going to experiment with a few. I'll still keep a bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch and Italian Dressing in my fridge but homemade salad dressing is so much better for you without all the preservatives, etc. so I'm going to try to do more of that. Here's one that is sweet and tasty. We call it the "pink dressing" in our house. This recipe comes from another great recipe site: www.melskitchencafe.com. (BTW, I think next time I make this I will only use 1 cup sugar.)

Red Wine Vinaigrette

2/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup red onions, finely grated (about 1/4 of a large red onion)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons salt
ground pepper to taste
2 cups canola oil

Add all ingredients except oil in a blender. Blend well. While processing, slowly add the canola oil and blend well. Transfer dressing to a jar or cruet. It keeps well in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks (although I’ve found it gets a little thick if it is too cold so I’ll pop it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to help thin it out before I use it if it has been in the refrigerator for several days).

No comments:

Post a Comment