Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Baked Oatmeal



Our family consumes A LOT of cold cereal. Ben grew up on cold cereal. For Christmas every year he and his brothers would each get five or six full size boxes of cold cereal with their stockings. Though I shop sales and use coupons so usually get it quite cheap, cold cereal takes up a lot of space in my house and is not the healthiest breakfast out there. I have a goal to make more "homemade" breakfasts. My kids love oatmeal - I don't. Regular oatmeal cooked in a saucepan is just "ok" for me. But I came across this baked oatmeal recipe and it is super! Ben LOVED it. It's super quick to make and very filling. I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8X8 dish and it was the perfect amount to feed my family for one morning. This tastes great plain or with fruit on top.

Baked Oatmeal
6 cups oats (rolled or quick)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (can substitute coconut sugar with great results)
1 cup oil (melted coconut oil works great)
2 cups milk
4 beaten eggs
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and pour into a 9X13-inch baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Serve warm with milk….or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment