Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Applesauce Pancakes


I don't know if I'll ever go back to store-bought pancake mixes. I guess I'll always keep some on hand - just in case, but pancakes from scratch are so much better! I had some applesauce in my fridge that I needed to use up so I decided to try these pancakes. I used unsweetened applesauce but I'm sure any kind would work. I didn't have time to make the syrup but I'm sure it would taste great with these pancakes. These recipes come from The Sisters Cafe.

Applesauce Pancakes

2 eggs
2 c flour
1 c milk
1 c applesauce
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt

Beat eggs until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375 degrees. (To test griddle, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If bubbles jump around, heat is just right.) Grease griddle. For each pancake, use slightly less than 1/4 cup batter. Cook pancakes until bubbly on top and dry around the edges. Turn to cook other sides until golden brown.

Cinnamon Syrup
1 cup sugar
slightly less than 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup evaporated milk

In a saucepan, combine sugar and cinnamon. Pour in corn syrup and water and stir to dissolve. Boil, stirring constantly 2-3 minutes. Cool. Stir in evaporated milk and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.

8 comments:

  1. Hi just made these! My daughter and my husband loved them!!! I did use the 2 tablespoons of baking powder, just wanted to know if that indeed was the measurement, not two teaspoons. Thanks!
    Stefanee
    Stefaneewexler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is 2 Tablespoons. Seems like a lot, I know!

      Delete
  2. Ok, great! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I am back, making them again! Has the recipe changed to 1 T of baking powder? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The original recipe still calls for 2 Tablespoons. I don't remember changing it on here but I guess I did. Maybe I decided 1 was sufficient... I honestly can't remember. I bet they'd turn out great either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a great recipe. I changed it up a little this time by adding 2 tbls cocoa and 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips. Served them with maple syrup and peanut butter on the side. Out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been making these pancakes for my family for years. They love them! We also started a Christmas tradition by having the inlaws over in the morning for these yummy pancakes.

    ReplyDelete