Friday, December 17, 2010

Chicken a La King



In my rush to get my children fed before hurrying out the door to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert (which we didn't even get in to!), I didn't get a picture of this meal all put together. But you'll get the idea. This is a Christmas dish as it refers to a meal for THE kings - the three Wisemen. I loved the idea of making these bread crowns - and they couldn't have been easier to make! You just pour the sauce over a couple of bread crowns and enjoy! Oh - I got this recipe from Sisters Cafe.

Chicken a La King

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped

Saute just until soft.

1/2 cup flour

Add to butter mixture and mix well to make a roux. Let it bubble.

2 small cans mushrooms and juice (I am not a fan of mushrooms so I left these out....I just used less flour and a little more chicken broth to make up for omitting these.)
3 cups chicken broth

Add and bring to a boil to thicken.

1 cup cream
5 cups cooked chicken, shredded (Rotisserie chicken would work well too.)
salt and pepper

Add to above mixture but don't boil any longer after adding cream. (You can also add 1/4 cup milk to thin the sauce if needed.)

To make the crowns, buy wheat bread - just the cheapo kind. (Or you can use white if you prefer.) Get out a muffin tin. Place a slice of bread over a muffin hole. Push in on the four sides and push down into muffin hole. Don't squash the bread, but use enough force so that it stays down in the hole. The four corners should be sticking up. Bake at about 250 until toasted and dry. It took me about 15 minutes. When you lift the crowns out of the muffin tin they should hole their shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment