Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lion House Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup


I first tasted this soup at my friend Melissa's house several years ago. It was the best chicken noodle soup I had ever had. It's been my go-to recipe ever since. It's also my husband's favorite soup that I make. It is "hearty" just like the title suggests.

Lion House Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup

2 tsp. chicken soup base, or 2 boullion cubes
6 cups chicken stock (broth) - I boil my chicken and use the leftover water as my stock. Then I add another can or so of chicken broth if I need it. I don't usually measure...just try to eye somewhere btwn 4-6 cups.
2 cups chopped carrots
1-2 cups chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cans (10 1/2 oz. each) cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup evaporated milk or 1/2 cup whole milk
Roux (equal amounts of flour and butter used to thicken) -
I don't usually do this...it's generally thick enough without.
2 cups cooked diced chicken

2 1/2 oz. (about 4 cups) cooked noodles -
I use Rotini pasta but you could also use egg noodles.

Heat chicken soup base (or bouillon cubes) and stock together. Add carrots, celery, and onion, and simmer until vegetables are tender. Add cream of chicken soup and milk. Thicken with roux as desired, then add cooked chicken and noodles. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes a lot...I'd say 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment