Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sweet Potato Muffins


I am so excited. I finally found a way to use the sweet potatoes I get occasionally from the co-op....Use them to make delicious muffins! I am not a fan of Thanksgiving-style sweet potatoes. I know they are one of the healthiest foods on earth but I just can't swallow the regular sweet poato. But these muffins are fabulous. This recipe comes from http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com.

Sweet Potato Muffins

1 1/4 c uncooked oats
1 c flour
1/3 c chopped pecans (I omitted due to nut allergies in our home.)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 c mashed sweet potato (You can also use canned pumpkin.)
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c oil
1/4 c milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1/4 c oats
1/4 c flour
1/4 c brown sugar
3 Tb chopped pecans (omitted)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c butter

Stir together dry ingredients of topping then cut butter in using pastry cutter. (Or you can rub together using your fingers.)

Combine dry ingredients, add moist ingredients. Stir until just moistened; do not overmix. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. Sprinkle liberally with topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes. Makes 12-15 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment