Saturday, November 6, 2010

Aunt Ila's Minestrone Soup


Another good soup recipe. Great on a cold night. I got this recipe from my friend Cami. It's a recipe that's been passed down in her family. And since Cami is my third cousin, well maybe I can claim it as a family recipe too. ;) Cami uses beef boullion cubes instead of canned broth and she also adds 1-2 cans of tomato sauce. She also uses fresh or frozen green beans instead of canned. I've tried all her changes and think they are great so I've stuck with them.

Aunt Ila's Minestrone Soup

1 lb. Italian Sausage, browned and drained
4 cups water
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes (I've used fresh tomatoes, diced.)
2 cans beef broth
2 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper

Simmer soup on low for 4-6 hours or use a crock pot.

During the last hour add:
1 can string beans
1 can kidney or garbanzo beans (I've always used kidney.)
1 cup noodles, cooked al dente

No comments:

Post a Comment