Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Whole Spelt Pumpkin Muffins


Tuesdays are muffin/sweet bread days on the breakfast menu.  And I look forward to it every week... I certainly love baked goods.  But lately I've been trying some new recipes to find healthier options for these breakfasts.  I've had my eye on this recipe for a while but didn't have any spelt.  (Didn't even know what it was!)  I finally picked up a can at Alpine Food Storage a month or two ago and made these babies.  In fact, we had them on three different occasions within a couple of weeks.  My kids gobbled them up, but really they love muffins in any way, shape or form.  I was surprised at how cake-like spelt flour is.  I have to say I prefer my denser pumpkin muffin recipe but these are a healthier alternative and still very good.  I will definitely continue to make them.  This recipe comes from 100 Days of Real Food.  Oh, and I added chocolate chips to mine. :)

Whole Spelt Pumpkin Muffins
  • 1½ cups whole spelt flour
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice blend
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup honey
  • ⅓ cup melted butter
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
  2. Using a whisk or fork mix together the flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and drop in the eggs, honey, and melted butter. Mix together until well combined. Fold in the pumpkin puree. Do not over-mix.
  4. Pour the batter into the muffin pan so it’s evenly distributed. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes clean, about 18 – 20 minutes. Store at room temperature or freeze for a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment