Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Strawberry Trifle


At my house we are thrilled that strawberry season has begun.  I have been picking up a case at Costco just about every week when I go and today I ordered cedar boards so Ben can make me some garden boxes to grow our own strawberries.  Can't wait.  I love trifles and opted to make this strawberry shortcake version for a large family gathering we had at our house last month.  I used pound cake but next time I will try angel food cake - either works.  I also used vanilla pudding but banana cream would have been delicious too.  Even banana slices with the strawberries would have been great... the possibilities are endless when it comes to trifle... In fact, I think I may try a Fourth of July version with blueberries.  This recipe came from the Taste of Home website.

Strawberry Trifle

1 cup cold milk
1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
1 package (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 tsp. grated orange peel
2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped  (The recipe doesn't call for any powdered sugar added to this but I think it's necessary.  I would start with 1/4 cup and add accordingly until desired sweetness is reached.)
8 cups cubed angel food cake
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries

In a large bowl, beat the milk, sour cream, pudding mix and orange peel on low speed until thickened. Fold in whipped cream. 

Place half of the cake cubes in a 3-qt. glass bowl. Arrange a third of the strawberries around sides of bowl and over cake; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining berries. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment