Friday, April 29, 2016

Healthier Chocolate No-Bake Cookies


We've almost made it to the end of the month and the end of our no-sugar challenge.  These past few days have been the hardest for me.  I've been craving something sweet every day and tonight these no-bake cookies saved me.  This recipe comes from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  They are plenty sweet without any sugar and pretty hearty too.  The almonds are optional but I added them and don't think I'd ever leave them out - I thought the nuttiness they added was perfect.  I also left out the chocolate chips because 1) I didn't have any bittersweet and 2) I'm assuming like most other chocolate chips they'd have sugar in them.  The cookies were great without!

Healthier Chocolate No-Bake Cookies

  • 1 cup natural peanut or almond butter
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 2 1/2 cups quick cooking or old-fashioned oats 
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds

  1. In a medium saucepan, melt the peanut or almond butter and coconut oil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Off the heat, stir in the honey and vanilla until combined. 
  2. Immediately stir in the chocolate chips until melted (if the mixture is too cool to melt them completely, return the saucepan to low heat to help it along without bringing it to a simmer).
  3. Add the oats, cocoa powder and almonds and stir until well-combined. 
  4. Drop by heaping spoonfuls (the medium cookie scoop works great) onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until set. 
  5. The cookies will keep in a tupperware-type container (layered between sheets of wax paper or parchment) in the refrigerator for a week or more.

1 comment: