Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup


I tried a new chicken tortilla soup recipe tonight and really liked it so I'm adding it to my collection.  We officially have soup weather around here and I love it.  (Not the weather necessarily, but the excuse to make soup!)  I had to photograph the picture in the cookbook because I was in too much of a rush tonight to take a picture of the soup I made and it was gone by the time I came home.  This recipe comes from my "Crock-Pot" Cookbook.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cans (15 oz. each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (4 oz.) chopped mild green chiles, drained (I didn't drain mine.)
1/2 cup - 1 cup chicken broth (I used frozen chicken breasts so I didn't add any broth.)
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste

4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4" strips (I didn't have any so we ate the soup with Fritos corn chips on top instead.)
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (I used about a tsp. dried.)
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used sharp cheddar.)
1 avocado, peeled, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning

1. Place chicken in slow cooker.  Combine tomatoes, chiles, 1/2 cup broth, onion, garlic and cumin in small bowl.  Pour mixture over chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken is tender.

2.  Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.  Return to cooking liquid.  Adjust seasonings, adding salt, pepper and more broth, as desired.

3.  Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro (if you use dried, add it in step one) to slow cooker.  **At this point I also added about half a cup of sour cream.  Stir to blend.  Serve in soup bowls, topping each serving with cheese and avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment