Thursday, November 10, 2011

Salvation Army Soup


Several years ago, my neighbor Lesa gave me this recipe.  It's quick, easy and uses up a lot of leftover vegetables.  It's also a great feel-good meal.  Of course, my favorite thing to do with this soup is liberally cover it with cheese. 

Salvation Army Soup

1 lb. ground beef  (I substituted ground turkey this last time with no problem.)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 quart (4 cups) water
2 large potatoes, cubed (I used four small red potatoes.)
5 carrots, diced large (I never use 5...more like 2 or 3 depending on size.)
1/2 head of cabbage, cut in strips
2 zucchini squash, cubed
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, cut in chunks
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 T. sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 small bay leaf (I have omitted this before.)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. basil

In a frying pan, brown and drain the ground beef.  Transfer beef to large stock pot and add all the rest of the ingredients.  Simmer until the potatoes and carrots are tender... About 1 hour.  Remove the bay leaf.  Serve with grated cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment