Monday, September 26, 2011

Spice Pumpkin Cake



I love this time of year when pumpkin recipes start popping up all over! - Love baking with pumpkin!  I wanted to make a cake for Tyler's birthday on Sunday but we had had the more traditional birthday cake the day before so I wanted to make something a little different.  I had a spice cake mix (don't remember what I ever bought that for) and so I thought I'd google recipes using the cake mix.  I went to Duncan Hines' website and came across this super easy and delicious cake which called for pumpkin - yeah!  I iced it with cream cheese frosting, which really makes anything taste good.

Spice Pumpkin Cake
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt pan.
  2. Combine cake mix, eggs, water and pumpkin in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Pour into pan.
  3. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Cool completely.
 At this point I frosted mine with cream cheese frosting:

3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 stick of butter, softened
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 bar (or 4 oz.) cream cheese

**You can also make this cake look like a pumpkin by coloring most of the frosting orange and reserving a small amount to be colored green.  Frost the whole cake with the orange frosting and then add an upside down cake cone to the top center of the cake and paint the cake cone with the green frosting.  For a cute picture see the Duncan Hines website.

1 comment: