Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Perfect Potato Salad


I am really late in posting this but I made this potato salad this summer with red potatoes from our garden and it was delicious.  It was actually my first ever potato salad and I don't think I'll ever look for another recipe.  This makes a lot so I halved the recipe.  From Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

Perfect Potato Salad 

Dressing:
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (adjust according to taste - you may want to use the greater amount if your potatoes were boiled without salt)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced dried onions or 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard

  • Salad:
     
  • 5 pounds potatoes (I prefer red potatoes.)
  • 1 15-ounce can olives, cut in half (I omit.)
  • 10 hard-boiled eggs, diced
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and give it a whirl until all ingredients are combined.
  2. For the salad, peel, dice, and boil potatoes until tender but not mushy (I cut my potatoes into bite-size pieces and boil for about 8-10 minutes). Drain potatoes well and pour into a large bowl. Add sliced olives and hard-boiled eggs. Pour dressing over warm potatoes until desired “dressing-level” is reached. I usually make this salad the night before and I pour a thin coating of dressing over the potatoes, olives and eggs while they rest in the fridge overnight. Before serving the next day, I add the rest of the dressing and mix until it looks just right. Most importantly be sure and taste so you can add extra salt and pepper to taste!

1 comment: