Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Shredded Wheat Banana Bread


I was excited when I found this recipe on my friend Sarah's blog because I sometimes buy Frosted Mini Wheats and there are always a lot of crushed leftovers at the bottom of the bag.  Now I don't have to throw them away!  Thanks Sarah!

Shredded Wheat Banana Bread

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use coconut oil, liquified.)
2 eggs
4 tablespoons buttermilk
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour (I use whole wheat.)
1 1/2 cup crushed shredded wheat (leftover from cereal)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine sugar and wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (except nuts). Add dry ingredients to wet and mix. Add walnuts. Pour batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 60-75 minutes. Or pour into greased muffin tins (makes about 18) and bake for 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This is just what I was hoping to find!

    It's the first dreary day of fall, and that always puts me in baking mood. Add to that thought the reality that I have some out of town guests arriving tomorrow. So I pulled the frozen overripe bananas from the freezer for banana bread, and started searching for a new shredded wheat cookie recipe so I could use up the jar of shreds I also have in the freezer. Voila'... Shredded Wheat Banana Bread. An obvious idea, that wasn't so obvious to me.

    ReplyDelete