Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins


I LOVE muffins for breakfast.  My kids would eat cereal every morning if I let them, but for me, cereal is about my last choice.  I would much rather have some sort of baked good, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.  So when I woke up before anyone else on Saturday morning I knew I had time to whip up some muffins and these did not disappoint.  They are definitely best hot out of the oven but still good reheated the next day.  This recipe came from Melanie at The Sisters Cafe

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

3 cups of all-purpose flour (I used 2 1/2 cups white flour and 1/2 cup wheat flour.)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
10 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/4 stick), softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp lemon zest

Glaze
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together, beating until fluffy with an electric mixer.  Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated after each one. Add the buttermilk and sour cream. Beat in the lemon zest.
4. Now add the dry ingredients. Mix until all is moist. Do not over beat.
5. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or use paper liners and drop dough equally among cups, filling each 2/3 full.  Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. 
6. While the muffins are baking, in a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice for the glaze.  After you pull the muffins out of the oven, while they are still warm, spoon some glaze over each muffin.  
 
*This recipe makes about 18 muffins.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment